Monday, May 24, 2021

Fleur

 The fun with Foamiran Craft Foam continues . . .

 


On this one, I wanted to see if the petals on a simple two-layered flower would survive the mail and stay curved.  So I've asked my friend Carol Chiaramonte to give me a report when I send this sample to her.  After heating the die cut flowers for no more than two seconds, they curved upward and acquired some welcome firmness.  I think they'll survive the mailing very well!

I also experimented with using hair spray as a fixative for the chalk-stenciled background.  I've heard mixed reviews about it for years and thought it was time to try it out myself.  So I stenciled two samples with white chalk, then used hairspray on one and workable fixative on the other.  Oddly enough, the hairspray was slightly wetter than the fixative.  Therefore, the stenciled design became a little more translucent and less visible.  The difference was slight but still noticeable.  The real difference was how the cardstock reacted to both treatments.  The hairspray warped the cardstock, but the fixative did not - the sample remained perfectly flat. I think I'll use the hairspray for its intended purpose and stick with the fixative - more expensive, yes, but way less hassle in the long run . . .

 

Cardstock:   Strathmore Natural White, Nicole Licorice         

Colorants:    Pan Pastel Titanium White

Dies:            White Lotus Flower, DieNamics Bright Lights Alpha              

Stencil:        The Crafters Workshop Mini Chevron Tiles

Doo Dads:    Foamiran craft foam, Candi dot Saville Row, Mark

                     Richards metal stickers Silver      

No comments:

Post a Comment