Thursday, August 29, 2019

Bottom of My Heart


The background is the technique focus for this one . . .


A recent blog post by artist and stamper Kristina Werner got me all wound up and I just had to try out this clever idea.

It involves water coloring with a mortise die cut from shelf liner!  Watch her video and see if you can resist - happily, I couldn't.  However, beware, as brands differ.  I went to Wal Mart to pick up some repositionable shelf liner and bought the Duck brand.  Duck makes a line of wonderful products - however, not for this purpose.  The vinyl is too tough for any of my three machines to cut it, regardless of the use of countless shims and my metal plate. 

So I got smart and followed the link provided by Kristina in her post.  The manufacturer is Kittrich, available from Amazon, and it cuts like a dream.  And to set your fears at rest, it absolutely will not tear your cardstock.  It's hard to believe that something that sticks so beautifully will remove so easily. 

Check out the sharp outlines on the leaves - not one bit of seepage to be found anywhere.  TIP:  after peeling off the release paper, lay it down on your cardstock, top with a sheet of typing paper, and burnish well with your fingertips to make sure all edges are pressed down. 

Then, watercolor with total confidence.  After you're finished, peel off the mortise and stick to a piece of acetate.  Then rinse off the ink and blot dry.  The glue is still good and I'm hoping to get several uses out of it. 

I plan to keep the Kittrich within grabbing distance of my table - this is too much fun and too easy to not keep at the ready . . .


Cardstock:   Bazzill Kachina, Strathmore #90 Watercolor paper      
Stamps:       Wordsworth Bottom of My Heart
Inks:             Distress Lucky Clover
Watercolors:   EK Paint Disc Blue, Green
Emb Pwdr:   Hero White
Dies:            Tim Holtz Labels; Punches: Ek Success Heart, Martha
                     Stewart Branches  
Doo Dads:   Joy Pearls Turquoise, Kittrich Repositionable Shelf Liner         

No comments:

Post a Comment