Monday, March 27, 2017

The Happy

Currently, I'm having fun playing around with the new Distress Oxide inks.  But, because I sometimes like to mix things up, I'm also  trying out a new technique involving dye inks and plastic wrap.  

Here's my first attempt with this fun method . . .


It turned out to be the worst of the batch, so I decided to challenge myself and see if I could turn a bad job into a better one.

The technique is quite simple:  smoosh a few colors of dye ink onto a piece of plastic wrap.  Spray with water and put your watercolor cardstock down on the inky wrap.  Flip the whole thing over and then push/pull the wrap so it gets all wrinkly and concentrates the colors.  Weight it down with an acrylic block and leave it to dry completely before removing the plastic (that's the hard part).  In order to speed up the drying, I put these pieces on a mesh sheet (a cookie cooling rack works great for this) so that air can circulate underneath.

As I was recently gifted with a large number of reinkers, I had some fun using these instead of ink pads.  They're very concentrated, so you may wish to spray with more water and dab the colors lightly with a sponge to help them distribute.

Cardstock:   American Crafts Neutrals: Tan, The Paper Cut Eames White,
                           Strathmore 90 lb watercolor paper
Stamps:        Tin Can Mail Italian Background Script, Hero Yummy Treats:
                           “May the Happy . . .”
Inks:               Ancient Page reinkers Plum Wine, Sandalwood, ColorBox
                           Cream White
Emb Powder:   Ranger Weathered White, Vippies Transcendence
Dies:              Lil Inker Stitched Mats Rectangles, Hero Frames with Sprigs
Stencil:          The Crafters Workshop Mini Tile Texture
Doo Dads:    Deco Art Paper Effects White Pearl

No comments:

Post a Comment