Monday, October 19, 2015

Happy

I've been enchanted with several card-making design choices that have been very popular lately:  the color grey, striped borders, text backgrounds, gesso, and die cut words.  I sorta went crazy and used them all on this card . . .



 . . . and on this variation . . .



I like to stack die cuts for more dimension, but gluing the layers together can get messy, especially when using skinny words and letters.  Also, I often have trouble lining up images accurately.  My solution is to run a layer of cardstock through my Xyron and adhere it to a second layer.  Then I die cut:  that gives me two well-adhered layers right off the bat, and if I wish to double those up, the gluing is easier to do with the sturdier die cuts.  Even the wafer thin dies will cut easily through doubled cardstock, especially when a metal adapter plate is used.  A real time-saver and a lot less mess!

Cardstock:   Bazzill Rock Candy, Generic Light Grey, Strathmore
                           #90 watercolor paper
Stamps:        Hampton Art Willowy Sunflower (first card), or East Coast
                           Daisy (second card), Hero Friends Definition, Impression
                           Obsession Thin Stripes
Inks:               ColorBox Orange, Frost White, Hero Black, Copic
                           Toner Gray T1
Emb Powder:   Judikins Opaque White, B’Muse Metallic Marmalade
Dies:              Tim Holtz Handwritten Celebrate: “Happy” (first card) or
                           Tattered Lace Everyday Sentiments: “Happy Birthday”
Colored Pencils:   Prisma Orange, Spanish Orange, Olive Green,
                                    Limeade, Black Raspberry
Doo Dads:    Faber Castell Gesso, Gamsol, Viva Pearl Pen Ice White

1 comment:

  1. Adhering two pieces of card stock before die cutting is a good idea. I haven't tried it. I just bought the nozzle that is self-cleaning and goes on Ranger's Glossy Accents. I had hoped it would work with word dies. I have also tried craft foam. The foam is too much like a rubber band so pulling the die cut out distorts it and paper distorts differently which makes marrying them up to achieve extra dimension a nightmare. I have tried various glue pens that either clog up, run dry, or aren't fine enough. I am sure the nozzle will work.

    ReplyDelete