Thursday, August 29, 2024

Sympathy

I fell in love with smooshing the very first time I saw it being done over two decades ago.  But I had blah results until I realized I was supposed to use the heat gun to dry each layer before smooshing the next one.  Once I did that, results were good . . .

 


However, I just learned a game-changing variation.  Instead of smooshing the ink pad on your craft sheet, smoosh on a piece of acetate instead.  About 7” x 9” is a good, workable size.  After pressing your ink pad onto the acetate, mist it once or twice and then turn it over and press onto your cardstock. 

The main advantage is that you can see exactly what you’re doing!  This is very useful if you’re using more than one color – you can see where you might want to add more of a certain color.  Also, the acetate is flexible so you can do a partial pressing if you like, such as in corners and on edges.  LOVE the results!

On this top layer, the colors were darker than I wanted for a Sympathy card, so I used double-sided sticky tape to invisibly adhere a sheet of vellum to the layer before die cutting.  That toned things down and I got the softer look I wanted.

HEADS UP: 

At the time of this posting, the NJ State Fair will open in three days.  I submitted nine entries and as always, will be posting them during all of September.  My competition is very stiff this year so it will be interesting to see if any blue ribbons will be coming my way.  Fingers crossed!

Cardstock:   Unknown Textured Brown, Strathmore #140 Watercolor, 

Stampin Up Vellum 

Inks:            Distress Speckled Egg, Distress Oxide Scorched Timber,

Stormy Sky, Wink of Stella Clear

Dies:            Mama Elephant Peek A Frame, DieNamics Single

Stitched Line Rectangle Frame, Memory Box Gerber

Stems, Impression Obsession Banners & Tails,

Dragonfly Set, Tattered Lace Everyday Sentiments:

“Sympathy”           

No comments:

Post a Comment